The old Smart Enough to Know Better forums

These forums are now locked.
It is currently Mon 25 Mar, 2019 5:44 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: What is Love?
PostPosted: Sun 30 Oct, 2011 2:27 pm 

Firstly, I'd like to know what you think the sciences have to say about love. After that, I'd like to know what you have to say about love, specifically how you know when you're in it and how you know when to tell the other person how you're feeling.

Don't worry too much about your answers; I'm not asking for any urgent personal reasons. I'm just trying to figure out if I could perhaps apply the term retroactively to a relationship I had a year ago with an amazing girl who lives far, far away. I'm hoping the answer is "no, no you can't" because I feel that I'll end up more mature if I acknowledge that it was just foolishness and infatuation and not... real.

So yeah, help me out and tell me: what is love?

Post subject: Re: What is Love?
PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2011 12:45 am 

Love?
Oh, I think defining love is a bad thing. Science can talk about endorphins and pheromones and pack instinct. It can talk about increased adrenaline caused by fear being confused by the brain. I think love however is too variable to be pinned down. It will mean something different to everybody. It will mean something different to the person you love though that may be something simple such as 'If you love me you'll put the toilet seat down' or more complex like 'If you love me you won't talk to other men'

There is straight monogamous love and gay polygamous love. There is love for family and friends or love of fine wine. There is love for God and love for learning. And all of these will be different for different people.

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2011 12:18 pm 

Hopefully this webcomic will answer all your questions

http://www.lukesurl.com/archives/2983

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov, 2011 3:11 pm 

What's the point of having a word if we're going to use it for pretty much any situation, then?

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2011 2:01 am 

Love is a short hand to rationalise the effects of your body's chemical processes. Your initial feelings of euphoria are caused by a rush of Oxytocin. This rush can last up to a year or two but then fades. Social bonding cuts in at this point to spur partners to continue rearing the young until such time that they are old enough to fend for themselves.

No one wants to admit that we drop out of this euphoric condition so we call it "love" but we also call the pair bonding "love" to lie to ourselves that we won't someday feel that euphoria again.

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2011 2:21 am 

Well if you want definition you could try: Strong positive emotional connection.

There are many words we use which can be interpreted differently by different people though I think love is one of the most varied.

Ask yourself when does like become love? This in itself is a tricky question because humans like clear distinct lines between one state and the next. We prefer beginnings to becomings and if we did have a clear line between both states it would be different for everyone.

If we think about happiness and the various states of happiness, while one man may claim to be happy in a given situation another man experiencing the same emotions may claim to be content.

To relate to your intitial question, foolishness and infatuation can be love.

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb, 2012 10:02 pm 

http://old.news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20120212/sc_livescience/whatfallinginlovedoestothebrain

PostPosted: Sat 12 May, 2012 9:18 am 

As they say, love is a simple chemical reaction... I do somewhat agree, but now I am getting more and more convinced it is just self-deceit. I don't believe in love... not anymore.

PostPosted: Tue 04 Dec, 2012 2:10 am 

love is

when you loose it you will know you have lost something for sure.

science can as yet not explain everything, so live it up and revel in it.

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com.au/2012/10 ... -love.html

PostPosted: Fri 29 Mar, 2013 3:17 am 

all I know about love that it is a very complicated thing, there is joy & pain in it. and the most important thing that it distract you from study & lower your grades. :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]