The old Smart Enough to Know Better forums

These forums are now locked.
It is currently Sun 16 Dec, 2018 10:55 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Podcast Startup
PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2011 2:23 am 

Well, I have been an avid listener of podcasting for about 5 years now, and there has always been this nagging - 'Well, if these buffoons can do this, so can I' - thought swimming up in my brain.

After listening to Smart Enough to Know Better, I know that this thought must have some merit. So I have decided to begin the process of starting up my own podcast.

Not necessarily about science, actually I am aiming it more at the experiences I have had (and others that are contributing) about their lives in Japan and the experiences of teaching (English especially, but teaching in general).

So, here's my thread about starting up a podcast from scratch - and I would love to hear if anyone else has done that and has pointers, or if Dan and Greg have anything they have learned (and seriously, they must have learned so much - considering how little they knew in the first place) ... I kid! Love you guys!

So yeah, here's the thread - I will post again tonight after I have thought about it more.

Post subject: Re: Podcast Startup
PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov, 2011 10:17 pm 

Ok, back again!

Thoughts on what you should have to begin a potentially successful cast of pods.

The basics:
= Some kind of topic or theme or niche.
There are hundreds of thousands of podcasts out there, and I have noticed that most of the very successful ones are ones that stay on point and true to their purpose. You don't see the Skeptic's guide people talking about fashion (unless in a skeptical fashion!.. ah ha?) because they are a science and skeptic kind of podcast. In much the same way that Nobody Likes Onions doesn't talk about Science (because its a stand-up comedy podcast). In our own beloved Smart Enough to Know Better, the boys have it in their tagline - Comedy, Ignorance, and Science are definitely in their purview. I just wanted to say purview. Purview.

= A computer.
Luckily I have one of these. I don't think it really matters these days really, PC or Mac, and I am assured that there are good softwares for producing the sort of thing that is needed for podcasts on either platform.

= Personality.
Your topic might be the most interesting in the world and the show may be well produced, but without a personality to drive the show, I dont think you are going to keep a very stable audience.

=Structure?
I guess it depends on the people running the show, some of the shows I listen to sound like they have no underlying structure at all - just two guys talking about whatever is going on around them - and some seem very structured indeed. I suppose this is up to personal choices - the glory of podcasting, right? - but for me, I think there is probably a happy medium in there.

oh and I guess... Content.

Damn I knew I was missing something.

So that's my little diatribe, any ideas, comments, hair-pulling? let me know!

Post subject: Re: Podcast Startup
PostPosted: Thu 01 Dec, 2011 1:14 am 

Tech-wise:

I have a 1 Ghz notebook computer running Ubuntu to record using audacity.

I bought a kit called a Podcastudio. The various components have since been upgraded. This is good if you want more than one voice but if you want to do a solo project you could try a Snowball mic.

I edit using Twisted Wave on the mac. It's got some great editing functions like its 'jump to zero' select tool.

Do some research into audio compression.

For more than one voice try to figure out how to record into separate channels.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]